Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Chihuahua got bit by my other dog. Wound needed to be

closed. Should we Give...
Chihuahua got bit by my other dog. Wound needed to be closed. Should we Give antibiotics perphelaxis?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is the dog bleeding a lot?
Customer: No. Just deep opening. Ozzing
JA: Phew. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: 8 yrs. Mack
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Mack?
Customer: 15 pounds. I have amox clav 875-125 mg. Is it same to give and what would be dosage? Or should I wait and see?
10/8/2016
Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian

My name is***** and I am sorry to hear that Mack was bitten by another dog. All bite wounds are dirty and will almost always become infected. Are you planning on taking Mack to the vet tonight or tomorrow?

The amoxi/clav you have is way too much for a small dog his size. You will likely induce nasty vomiting from toxicity.

I would get him to the vet as soon as you are able and they can prescribe the appropriate size tablets.

Does this help? What other questions do you have?

Dr. Amanda

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Why can't I do the calculation and cut the tablets?

Because he needs 75mg of amoxi. That is less than 1/10 of the tablet. That's why.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks.

Best of luck to you and your pup.

Dr. Amanda

How is your pup tonight? How is the wound doing? Do you have any more questions?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Amanda
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
He's doing very well. Thanks

Thanks so much for the update! I'm glad to hear he is doing well.

Best regards,

Dr. Amanda

Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian
Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian