How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. John Your Own Question
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 5222
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. John is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog might have ingested a small amount of rat poison, I

Customer Question

My dog might have ingested a small amount of rat poison
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did you see what might ate?
Customer: I did not see her eat it but I heard a small piece of the bait hit the floor and I did not know she was there. I found a small piece but not sure if there may have been more than one
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about might?
Customer: The rat bait is called BROMETHALIN
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Marta Lepes replied 10 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I will do my best to help you. I'm reviewing your question now and I will post back to you ASAP.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** amount of poison ingested would be very small maybe the size of a small pellet
Expert:  Dr Marta Lepes replied 10 months ago.

Bromethalin can cause bleeding in a dog.

please tell how long ago this happened (hours/minutes).

That way i can see if we can still induce vomiting.

And the weight of your dog.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
20 minutes ago, she is about 20 - 25 lbs
Expert:  Dr Marta Lepes replied 10 months ago.

She is a small dog so i still feel we should induce vomiting.

Do you have any unexpired hydrogen peroxide?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Expert:  Dr Marta Lepes replied 10 months ago.

Great! Give her 1 ½ TABLESPOON of the hydrogen peroxide in some yummy food or milk.

She should vomit in 10 to 15 minutes.

I'll be online - let me know when she vomits.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
How much of this type of poison does a dog have to ingest to for it to be dangerous?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
What symptoms will she have if she ingested it?
Expert:  Dr Marta Lepes replied 10 months ago.

Poisoning is dose dependent. It depends on the weight of the dog and the strength of the poison and the amount ingested.

Hemorrhage begins within a day or two and the treatment lasts 30 days.

So please induce vomiting now.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
My wife is reluctant it induce vomiting as she does not think that she ate the poison, neither of us actually saw her ingest it
Expert:  Dr Marta Lepes replied 10 months ago.

The choice is yours, but if were my dog I'd be doing it now. It is my duty to give you the best medical advice.

Inducing vomiting means that she swallows the food plus hydrogen and vomits it up with any poison if she ingested it. That's it. She doesn't vomit all night.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I gave her milk with peroxide, how much does she need to drink?
Expert:  Dr Marta Lepes replied 10 months ago.

All of it. I hope you didn't give her a whole cup of milk.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No but she only took a couple licks
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
She is not a milk dog I guess
Expert:  Dr Marta Lepes replied 10 months ago.

Ok, mix the whole dose in some canned dog food or something she really likes. Just a tablespoon or so should work.

Expert:  Dr Marta Lepes replied 10 months ago.

That is a TBS of tasty food with 1 ½ TBS hydrogen peroxide.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
She is not touching it, the peroxide makes the food bubbly and she doesn't like that
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I got some down her but not sure if it is enough. I will monitor her. Thank you for your help. What symptoms should I watch for and when would I start to see symptoms?
Expert:  Dr Marta Lepes replied 10 months ago.

Wow, that's the only the second time I've seen a dog not ingest it.

Did you at least get ½ down?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I think so, my dog is extremely picky eater
Expert:  Dr Marta Lepes replied 10 months ago.

I guess so. Can you try another ½ Tbs mashed up in her very favorite food.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Tried that, she figured it out. Just let me know what to look for so I know if I have to take her to a vet here
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
She is so picky which is why my wife thinks that she did not eat the poison, because she doesn't eat just anything
Expert:  Dr Marta Lepes replied 10 months ago.

If she has a sensitive stomach she may still vomit.

The bleeding can happen within 1/2 to 1 days usually but longer is also possible.The poison ties up vitamin K which is necessary for blood clotting.

This poison can affect dogs for almost a month so the treatment is an injection of vitamin K initially followed by 30 days of oral vitamin K.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Is that true for the BROMETHALIN type of poison? I thought I read that poison causes swelling of the brain?
Expert:  Dr Marta Lepes replied 10 months ago.

I understand that there may not be much of a chance for her to eat the poison but as vets we have to consider the worst possibility or we are not doing our job.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I understand and I am thankful for your help. I got some of the peroxide into her stomach so hopefully she will still throw up, hopefully not on my carpet. I will monitor her for the next 24 hours
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you so much for your help, I will continue to try and get her to vomit,
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Good night
Expert:  Dr Marta Lepes replied 10 months ago.

I am so sorry, I confused BROMETHALIN with BRODIFACOUM .

The latter produces hemorrhage ant the former increases intracranial pressure. But both are treated with inducing vomiting.

Expert:  Dr Marta Lepes replied 10 months ago.

The signs of BROMETHALIN poisoning are muscular tremors, impaired movement and seizures.

Treatment is more difficult HOWEVER it takes a much higher amount of it to cause symptoms. So your dog should be safe.

I really apologize for the error. It is not the way I want'd to help you.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for your help and I feel better that she will be Ok. She's very alert an active right now but I will continue to monitor her
Expert:  Dr Marta Lepes replied 10 months ago.

Yes, she should be OK. We can sleep well tonight.