Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My nam is Forrest. I'm dog sitting two Siberian huskies for

Customer Question
friends. The dogs are a...
My nam is Forrest. I'm dog sitting two Siberian huskies for friends. The dogs are a boy and a girl, siblings about 2 years old or so. For the past three days, the female hasn't eaten any of her food on her own. The first night I individually fed her the pieces but she didn't eat much. The second day I threw in a raw egg and mixed it around and she ate about half of her food but just licked the rest of the bowl clean and left the dog food. Today I just tried feeding her individually again and she ate only a little bit. The family gets back either late tonight or tomorrow morning and I just wanted to make sure I don't need to take her to a vet before they get back. Thank you for your help!
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/6/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Karing, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Karing
Dr. Karing, Veterinarian

Hi Forrest,

I'mCustomerand I would be glad to help with your question. I'm sorry your friend's dog isn't doing well while they are away. At least you were able to get her to eat something during the last 3 days. Have you seen her drink? If she is in an enclosed area inside and you are sure she isn't having any vomiting or diarrhea AND she is bright, alert and happy to see you when you come, then I think it is okay to wait until tonight or tomorrow when her owners return. Perhaps she is depressed because they are away.

However, you aren't sure if she has vomiting or had diarrhea because she stays outdoors in a fenced area OR if she is not acting herself (i.e. with the energy of her sibling), then going to the vet now is the safest way to proceed. Loss of appetite, as you know, could only be stress but is possibly a symptom of a greater problem that requires attention sooner rather than later. A physical exam (i.e. to look for dehydration, fever, abdominal discomfort, etc,.) by a veterinarian should help reveal if there is any cause for immediate concern.

I hope that the information I provided has been helpful. Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if you have more questions orwould like additional information. It is my goal to provide you with the most complete information possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating. If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.

Sincerely,

Customer/p>

Hi there,

I hope you received my response and found it helpful. Please let me know how your friend's female Huskie is doing. Also, let me know if you would like any additional information. If not, the kindness of a positive rating and accept of my answer would be very much appreciated as this is the only means by which I am compensated.

Thank you,

Customer
Dr. Karing
Dr. Karing
Dr. Karing, Veterinarian