Tamra Hunt
Tamra Hunt, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Mobile Veterinarian
27535114

My 17 lb mutt gets anxious when there is a storm. We are

Customer Question

My 17 lb mutt gets anxious when there is a storm. We are about to get a Cat 4 Hurricane. Can I give him Melatonin to calm him down tonight ?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Tamra Hunt replied 11 months ago.

Hi. I'm Dr. Tamie. I'm so sorry you are in the path of the Hurricane. I hope you don't have any damage or problems. I have had some patients have some improvement with Melatonin, but haven't had complete resolution of symptoms. Has he had it before for thunderstorms?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
He hides under the bed, shakes, until the thundertop and lightning s
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
His symptoms are based on the duration of the storm. The hurricane may last all night, so I am hoping he can stay relaxed through it

It is so worrisome when they hide and shake. Have you tried Melatonin before for thunderstorms? I'm a little concerned it may not be enough to help him for a hurricane. It is reasonably safe and can help some. Has he seen a vet recently, so you can get something a bit stronger? Does Peanut Butter have any other medical conditions or is he on any medications?

Are you in the path where you should be evacuating? Or are you just expecting Tropical Storm type storms, which can be just as bad!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Last visit to Vet was annual exam and shots. No known medical issues. We have not tried any drugs before, so no experience with Melatonin. I use it for a sleep aid for me occasionally, thought it might help him
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It is currently a Cat 4 Hurricane, not planning on leaving. I am confident in our preparations

I think it will definitely help him relax some, however, he may still be scared and shaking. If melatonin is what you have on hand, it would be better than nothing. But if he were my dog, I would consider getting a prescription for something stronger for him. Can you call your veterinarian and see if they could prescribe something stronger for him? There are a couple of options. I always get several calls for anxiety medications before July 4th and New Years. It is a rather common question for veterinarians.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I'll give them a call, but most of the stores are already closed. Thank you for your advice. The dosage on these pills is 300 mcg, would that dosage be enough or too much ?

Another thing you can try is to put a tight shirt on him. They sell expensive adjustable shirts called Thundershirts. It helps for some dogs and not for others. If you have something you can wrap around him, it may help as well. Since I have not seen him, I cannot give you a dose. But I am looking for a product I can show you that will give you a dose. Thanks for your patience. I'll have an answer very soon.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have a Thundershirt that I have used to curb barking, he has anxiety when I leave for work etc, and it works for him. I plan on using that for him as well

Ok. If you look at this product. It has a tab for how to use and a tab for ingredients. You can use that to determine how much to use for Peanut Butter. http://www.1800petmeds.com/NaturVet+Quiet+Moments+Calming+Aid+Plus+Melatonin-prod10802.html .

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** research that product.

Also if you have a way to play music for him if the power goes out. Or loud TV. I suspect that will have minimal effect for a CAT 4 Hurricane, but any little bit may help him.

Sorry I meant if the power doesn't go out.

Also give it to him before the storm, not after he gets all worked up. Good Luck with the storm and I hope you stay safe! Do you have any other questions?

If you have no further questions, Just Answer would appreciate you answering a few questions to improve their service.

Take care of yourself and Peanut butter and stay safe!

Hi Steve,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Peanut Butter. How is everything going?

Tamra Hunt