Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a female pekingese who is about 6 years old. She is

Good afternoon, I have a...
Good afternoon, I have a female pekingese who is about 6 years old. She is deaf from small, I think she might have been dropped by the grandchild of the breeder. As she has had 3 litters and none of them were deaf. Today I took Cassie to the parlour, she lives with my son as I am not allowed to keep dogs on my daughters premises at the moment. Estate setup that only allows two animals. I tried to walk her a bit now but noticed this morning if she shakes herself she falls over. If she walks it is unstable. Her back legs seem to collapse and the front left leg when she faces me folds in sometimes even if you put her on your lap. So as if she has a lameness problem. This is a concern to me as she has never been sick before and would run and play with the other dogs. Do you think this could be a back related problem? Cassie is quite small more miniature orientated
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: No there is none
JA: The vet is ready to answer your dog question. Is there anything else you want him to know?
Customer: No I think that is about all I can tell him at the moment. I think they might have to do x rays to see if there is back related problem
10/6/2016
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hi. My name is***** I'm sorry to hear about Cassie's situation. Do you feel that despite this she's still eating and drinking well? Has she had any vomiting? If you look at her eyes, are they moving from side to side? Does she seem to have a head tilt?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
she eats well and drinks water, no vomiting. no obvious head tilt, eyes only move if you attracted her attention. She doesn't seem sick at all, it is only this funny walk and collapsing of the legs every now and again as if she is "drunk"
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
she doesn't make noise or anything and I am in south africa

That is good that everything else seems to be pretty much the normal for her. Any chance she has could have gotten into any chemicals or medications?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
That is difficult to say as she just came from the parlor. Although I do not think they would use harmful shampoos. I did ask that she must be shaved and bathed but no flea dip as she has a skin allergy that flair up with dips etc. She also doesn't have any foot sores or yelp if you pick her up or rub her back

That is good that she's not seeming to be overly uncomfortable anywhere. I would hope that the parlor respected your requests on her bathing there. There really shouldn't be any really harsh chemicals / products they could use. Could the experience itself have been a little more stressful on her? Could she have slipped in the tub or caught something and just aggravated a limb or her back slightly? At this point in time, a very simple thing for you to do at home is to keep her confined / isolated / restricted with her activity so she can just rest and see if the area of alteration quiets down. During this time, she would be monitored for any progression, vomiting, abnormal eye motion, or seizures. This is one of those situations where rest and time may be all that is needed.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you. I lost my connection. Africa electricity is intermittent. Okay I will keep her confined and rested. It could be that it was stressful as it is first time at this parlor the old one closed down. Maybe she did slip I wondered about that too and maybe because she is deaf they didn't understand that they need to treat her differently. I normally "talk" to her with sign language.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Should I seek more help if this is not better after 3 days, what do you think or should i wait a week?

I would see where she's at in a few days and make a decision then. If she's otherwise seeming comfortable and eating / drinking well, breathing normally, and not seeming weak - then it could be given more time. Africa is place that someday I would love to visit! Where are you at there?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am based in Gauteng due to business. Yes you should visit this continent, you would not be sorry. I travel the different countries when I can and have had numerous wild life experiences all good. It is very hot here and dry at the moment, however it is still beautiful. When you come to South Africa don't just visit the Cape ARea like a lot of foreigners do but take time to travel lesser parks and nature reserves around hazyview are, Limpopo province and Mpumalanga. Thank yoou for the advice doctor I will see how my little girl fares. Take care

I definitely like to be off the beaten path! When I go on vacations, I try to go to where it is more natural and "away" from as many humans as possible. Thanks for all that good advice. I'm hoping for the best for your girl!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you, ***** ***** my e-mail address if you ever come this way maybe I can make some suggestions.
***@******.***

I will keep this in a safe place for a future reference! Take care! A trip to the dark continent most likely isn't till the kids are in college (12 years from now!).

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Dr BruceShe definetly is much better. I kept her with me and not the other dogs. She got spoiled with some ham over the weekend and I made sure she got some decent food which from Hills. I also took her off the cold tile floor with a warm pad in her little bed to ease possible pain. Thank you very much for the advice I appreciate it.
12 years from now is a long time but I understand as parents we need to look at the needs of our kids first but maybe when your youngest is about 10 or twelve you should consider it as the kids will enjoy it too. In SA we have breeding farms for cheetah and smaller cat which are endangered and a person can learn so much, maybe you have a son that wants to be a vet like the dad and in SA we encourage the people outside the country the children that study to be vets to come do there internship here as they learn so much. Look at a place with the Shamwari. Thank you again for the advice, I will still watch Cassie but she definitely seems on the improve.

I'm glad to hear that Cassie is doing much better. That is awesome. I have a son and a daughter and at this time, it is my 7 year old daughter that looks like she's going to be the next vet in the family. She has a very strong love for them and a fascination for medicine too. If she doesn't become one, it will surprise me greatly. The entire family likes adventures, so I'll have to see what I can organize one of these days. That is a trip that definitely is on the bucket list. I hope Cassie continues to do well. Give the little girl a good ear scratching for me since I can't!

Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Thank you Dr Bruce, had to take Cassie to the vet, she has a narrowing in the vertebra and this is creating problems, she is now on"bed rest" for 2 weeks with medication. Hopefully no operation later.

Thank you for the update with Cassie. Shoot. I re-read our conversation and a compression on the spinal cord / disc issue does fit the signs and it was something that didn't trip a switch for me at that time. I'm hoping for the best for her. Time and rest will be important. I hope the next 2 weeks go fast and he responds well.

Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian