Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

We got a puppy from a quality breeder on Saturday. Since

Customer Question
then over the last 3...
We got a puppy from a quality breeder on Saturday. Since then over the last 3 days she has vomited multiple times each day. We are feeding her the same food as the breeder and we give her a cup in the morning and a cup in the evening. She does not throw up in the mornings. She is up to date on shots and is 12 weeks old. She is also a German shepherd
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/6/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hi. My name is***** I'm sorry to hear about Berlin's stomach upset. Is she still bright and alert? When she vomits, is she bringing up food? Is she drinking ok? Have you had her to your vet yet for her first examination with them? Were the previous vaccines done by the breeder or by the breeder's vet?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She brings up all of the food. We went for a walk a little while after and she did fine on the walk and was having a good time and as we got close to home she threw the rest up. All food that had been absorbed by water. We have not had her to a vet yet as we only got her Saturday. She was wormed nemex aug 18,25,31 avantix aug 30 wormed panacur 1/2 cc sep 7,8,9 and again sep 16,17,18. She had parvo aug 18 and again sept 2. And again I believe sept 30. I might not have them all in the right order as he attached them to a sheet. Again it seams as if though she is only throwing up at night.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She is also drinking fine.

I'm sorry for my delay. One of the things that I'm a huge proponent of is having a new puppy exam by your vet very, very soon after getting them. A new puppy exam can help to make sure that the puppy obtained is a healthy one. I'm not saying that you don't have a good breeder, but a veterinarian is an impartial person who has the best health interest at heart for any new addition to the house like this. They can check them over and make sure they don't have any hernias, heart murmurs, etc.. They can then set up their vaccines and further health protocols such as the dewormings. Some breeders will do a lot of the pre-purchase vaccines and dewormings all on their own without a veterinarian being involved. Others will have a veterinarian doing all these things. I just feel if a veterinarian is the one that does them, then the chances of things not being done effectively are greatly minimized. It is good thats she's seeming to be doing well on her walks. Could she be getting worked up and nauseated because of her new environment? Could she have some other issue like intestinal parasites despite the dewormings done? Could she have giardia? Parvo is always in the mix with a young one like her too.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian