Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

Ima try and sum this short, my dog has been acting strange,

Customer Question

ima try and sum this short, my dog has been acting strange, walking slow, head down, breathes fast when sleeping, has a cough once in awhile, sometimes walks in reverse, she is a big chichuaua for her size, but im too broke to take her to a vet
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help your dog. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Estrella and 6 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Estrella?
Customer: I honestly think shes depressed because her partner died around this time about a year ago
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Drhollowayvet replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is***** but you can call me Dr. H, and I am a licensed veterinarian.

I understand that your pet Estrella is having some strange behaviors including: coughing, breathing fast while asleep, depression/lethargy, and walking in reverse.

These symptoms may be related and in particular the lethargy, breathing fast while asleep and coughing (occasionally) all indicate a potential heart disease issues.

I understand you are also under some financial restraints right now. These symptoms do not indicate simple depression from a pet that passed away, they indicate an underlying disease process and my top suspision is concerning her heart. Which would require getting her a chest x-ray and examined by a vet to confirm and see if she needs to be placed on heart medication to treat her.

I do have a few financial resources that may be able to assist you if you would like for me to share them here?

- Dr. H

- Dr. H