Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a large dog (100#) with an abcess that ruptured. We

Customer Question
cleaned and flushed with a...
I have a large dog (100#) with an abcess that ruptured. We cleaned and flushed with a mild chlorihexidrine solution. I have smz/tmp 800/160s. Trying to find doseage
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Zaire. Kuvasz. 8
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Zaire?
Customer: Livestock guardian dog, cannot be brought to vet without extreme sedation
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/5/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

In regards ***** ***** question, a 100lb (45.45kg) would only be given a dose between 1.3-5 tablets once daily. You could split that total over 2 doses if you wished to but this is an antibiotic that can be given once daily. That said, it is only moderate for skin based issues and abscesses. Therefore, if you used this for 5-7 days and the infection didn't settle, then you'd need to have a word with his vet about their dispensing a better option (which they may be amenable to do with his temperament) or they may have to dispense sedation for you to give to then safely transport him for examination and culture of the bacterial infection present.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate me afterwards by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!:

Hi Twila,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian