Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

10 yrs old Yorkie been throwing up and pooping blood she is

Customer Question
wheezing can't hold head up...
10 yrs old Yorkie been throwing up and pooping blood she is wheezing can't hold head up very well and has been over 24 hrs. Can't afford to take her to the vet is there anything else I could give her do you think she's going to pull through
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/5/2016
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 1 year ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Cassie, I am very concerned for your companion. Her symptoms suggest that she is critical and may pass away from this. If there was ever a time to take her to the vet, it would be now.

To start, apply a small amount of honey or pancake syrup to her gums every 30 minutes for an hour. This should bring her glucose up if she has a low blood sugar. You will need to ensure she can swallow effectively before moving on to the following steps.

The next step is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful.

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of the GI upset. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats.

I hope that she improves quickly and pulls through.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's my boyfriend's mom dog, and can't afford to take her to the vet. She has been like this for over 24 hrs now. They said she acts like she wants to drink but it seems like she can't open her mouth, her gums are black and can't/ or don't want to raise her head. I guess she had surgery a few months ago to have some lumps removed and due to financial issues wasn't able to have testing done....I feel like she needs to be put down and just getting info off the Web sounded like cancer but don't know 100% if the suggestions above help her improve how long , how much time do they wait for improvement before putting her to sleep?

Vomiting and defecating blood is not a sure sign of cancer, but it can be a sign of hemorrhagic gastroenteritis (HGE) , pancreatitis, a gastric ulceration, etc. If they cannot treat her and she's going downhill fast, euthanasia is the kindest thing to do. Her not being able to lift her head is very concerning. There's no time limit on waiting, I would go off of symptoms when electing when to euthanize.

Checking in, JA Customer. How is your companion doing?

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian