Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 3 year old cocker spanial has in the past every once in

Customer Question
awhile had yellow throw up...
my 3 year old cocker spanial has in the past every once in awhile had yellow throw up then a day ago he started throwing up often dark or clear after awhile shivering started. a call to the vet later and over night hes had some pepto and regular small doses of pedialite. today hes still sick doesnt eat or drink lazy and still shivers when you pet him
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did to eat anything unusual?
Customer: unknown dont think so as he is a house dog and only goes out in the back yard so his world is somewhat contained
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about to?
Customer: some recent a day or two ago i noticed a couple times he drug his butt across the carpet.. through it all he hasnt been pooping no runs just throwing up
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/4/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Was it dark brown vomit that look clotted like coffee grounds? Or more like his dog food?

Can he keep water down?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could he have eaten something he should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Has he had any diarrhea (since you noted using Pepto)?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
gums are pink a little sticky i played with his belly and didnt show signs of discomfort vomit has turned dark like blackish water but i think a little dehydration has slowed the vomit. hes had no diarrhea.

Hi again,

Is there any chance you can post a photo of the vomit, as black isn't a common color for vomit in dogs?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
sorry i cleaned it all up

No worries,

One more quick question, was the black vomit since you gave Pepto?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no and i wont say black its blackish when alot it was dark brown but when it was a little its more like water with a blackish tint

Thank you,

Now if we have had these dark discolorations to his vomit before the Pepto we do need to be careful. The reason why I was suspecting it may be our culprit here is because it does discolor stomach contents, so the stool to follow will likely be black as well. But if he was vomiting this color before, we'd want to keep an eye on that for him since that can be a sign of stomach ulcers bleeding into the gut. Otherwise, our other concerns for the signs you reported are bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, parasites/protozoa infections, general dietary indiscretions, and ingestion of harmful items (ie toxins, plants, non-edible items).

With this all in mind, as long as he can keep water down, we can try some home supportive care to try to settle his stomach. To start, if he hasn’t just vomited (since otherwise we’d need to rest the stomach for a few hours first), you can consider treating with an OTC pet safe antacid in place of the Pepto (since that is more appropriate if they have diarrhea and the aspirin component of it can actually worsen nausea). Instead, consider trying Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac), or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Also if you give this and he cannot keep it down due to nausea that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass his mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from his vet.

Once he is more settled, you can plan to try small meals of a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, or scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (garlic/onion free only) There are also OTC vet diets (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) that can be used too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning slowly back to what you normally feed.

Overall, a wide range of agents could trigger the signs we are seeing here with your lad. The scooting of his backside is likely related to his anal glands but won't be a direct cause of his nausea. Still, we'd want to adjust your treatment plan at home to see if we can get him settled. Though if those signs persist, then a check up would be ideal to have his vet check his hydration, rule out fever, ensure nothing in his stomach that shouldn't be, or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, his vet can treat with injectable anti-vomiting medication, fluids, +/- antibiotics to settle his stomach and get him back feeling like himself.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
thanks for your help ill try these things in an effort to get his stomach settled

You are very welcome, my dear.

Best wishes for you both,

Dr. B.

**Aterwards, please rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am cre the site dited by the site for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian