Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

She thew up a couple of times, she is lethargic, while

Customer Question
laying down i can see...
she thew up a couple of times, she is lethargic, while laying down i can see her stomach contracting but seems to have slowed now
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Bailey she is 4
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bailey?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/4/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you

I am sorry to learn Bailey is not feeling well. My name is***** will do my best to help you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?

2- Did she get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?

3- Any pre existing medical conditions?

4- What breed is she?

5- Weight?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
1-This has been going on for about an hour, she ate half of a powdered donut and a couple crakers then threw up, then i was watching her stomach contract and tighten, it seems to have stopped.2-I don't believe she got into anything
3-no pre-existing issues, always healthy
4-she is pekineese and ***** *****
5-she is approx 25 lbs

1- Any other symptoms?

2- Can you take a look at her gums and see if they are pink or pale?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
1-she is lethargic, just laying on the bed falling asleep2-her gums are mostly black and a pinkish color

Thank you so much for your patience and answering my questions. Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She is also shaking a little now, Thank you

Friend, vomiting, and lethargy can be caused by many different medical conditions. The fact that she ate 1/2 of a powdered donut prior to this happening I would want to rule out pancreatitis. The shaking and abdominal muscles contracting are likely signs of pain which further supports pancreatitis. Could this be related to something else? Yes. But, given that pancreatitis is a very serious medical condition I would strongly recommend having her checked tonight by ER veterinarian to rule out pancreatitis, I am sorry, but, it is best to err on the side of caution. If you do not have access to ER veterinarian this is what you can to until she is seen by your family veterinarian in the morning:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/2 tablet every 12 hours. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy. Do Not give over the counter pain medication, it can make things worse.

2- No food or water for 8-12 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 8-12 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, she can have a small amount of water. Keep her off food for 20-24 hours. Then, offer a small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for 1-2 weeks then wean into regular diet.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian