Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

This past Thursday morning I noticed my terrier had chewed

Customer Question
This past Thursday morning I...
This past Thursday morning I noticed my bull terrier had chewed on her flea collar a little bit and I tore the part that was hanging off, starting on Friday she started throwing up but still was eating & drinking. Saturday she just laid around didn't eat and whenever she drank water she threw it up, and today she still wasn't drinking or eating. The last time she had eaten was Wednesday afternoon, so I went and got her some babies petilite and mixed it with her water, she's been drinking a little bit today but still laying around, weak. Can't get into a vet until in the morning so what can I do to make sure I can keep her alive until in the morning?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your bull terrier?
Customer: She's breathing good and she's warm, her nose goes from being cold to being slightly warm. She's never been sick before and I'm worried she's may die from poisioning from that flea collar but I've not seen any bits of it in her vomit
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/3/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian

My name is***** and I am sorry to hear that your pup is vomiting tonight.

You did the right thing by trying to get her to take the pedilyte this weekend as this is the best way to hydrate her.

What kind of flea collar was it? This will help me tell you if that is the cause of the problem or if the vomiting is from something else.

Dr. Amanda

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm not really sure what kind it was, I purchased it at Wal-Mart, it was blue in color. I do know it wasn't a hartz tho

Okay, most flea collars (especially the cheap ones) usually are plastic with a coating of a pyrethoid based pesticide.

There is only a little bit of the pesticide on the collar, so you likely won't see toxicity from it. The signs of toxicity include muscle tremors, shaking and hyperactivity.

If she ate enough of the plastic, it could cause a potential obstruction of her intestines.

Other causes of vomiting include pancreatitis, blockage from something else that she ate, liver disease, kidney disease, cancer, and others.

Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian