Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

My bacon has 3 teeth needing extractions. I know they are

Customer Question

My bacon has 3 teeth needing extractions. I know they are infected and are bothering him enough to affect his personality. He weighs 11 pounds. How much oral pen VP 500 my can I start him on until next week when I can get the teeth extracted?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 9 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

I might dose penicllin V at 5 mg/lb thrice daily. That's essentially 1/10 of a 500 mg tablet every 8 hours for him. You'll need to pound the tablet into powder and apportion it into 10 equal sized piles to attain ~ 50 mg/pile which he would receive every 8 hours - perhaps mixed into tasty wet food. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I'm waiting on response. Thank you so much!

My response can be found directly above your last post. Here's what I posted:

"I might dose penicllin V at 5 mg/lb thrice daily. That's essentially 1/10 of a 500 mg tablet every 8 hours for him. You'll need to pound the tablet into powder and apportion it into 10 equal sized piles to attain ~ 50 mg/pile which he would receive every 8 hours - perhaps mixed into tasty wet food. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish."

I regret that my state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow me to speak to customers by phone in this venue but other experts in this category may be able to assist you in this regard. Please let me know if you'd like another expert to do so and I'll opt out of this conversation. Please stay in the conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I'll do this orally. Thank you so so much!

You're quite welcome. You may receive an inappropriate follow-up from the site ostensibly sent by me. It wasn't and I apologize in advance should you receive it.