Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Looking fr a dosage for amoicillin for a 65 lb nursing dog,

Customer Question
Looking fr a dosage for...
Looking fr a dosage for amoicillin for a 65 lb nursing dog
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?
Customer: high fever, does't appear to be mastitis, possible retained placenta or milk fever, but I gave a tums and some goats milk, her milk looks fine, no odor, no thickness
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Cora 4
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Cora?
Customer: nope, always been a very healthy dog first breeding
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/2/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

I might dose amoxicillin at 5 mg/lb twice daily but I'm more likely to prescribe amoxicillin/clavulanate (Clavamox) at that dose because it has a better broad spectrum spectrum against the type of bacteria seen when metritis (uterine infection) is suspected. Treatment should extend for 7-10 days. It's safe for nursing pups but you can expect some degree of gastrointestinal distress in form of inappetence, vomiting and/or diarrhea in them which might require switching away from these -cillins and over to a cephalosporin such as cephalexin or cefadroxil. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian