Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Blood ooziing from behind back molar - this morning though

it was brown from his...
blood ooziing from behind back molar - this morning though it was brown from his ear but after he was up and moving, it turned to bright red. Dripping from folds of upper lips and coating entire back teeth
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Payton - he is 12 1/2. major ear issues and deaf for at least 5 years
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Payton?
Customer: He has dementia and takes cholodine supplement to control it. Can't open mouth enough to see if abscess behind the molar or if it is coming from elsewhere. I brush his teeth regularly and have not noticed any issue with the teeth themselves. Other than his gums are growing over the front teeth. Tumor?
10/2/2016
Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian

My name is***** and I am sorry to hear that Payton is bleeding from his mouth. Based on your description, I, too am wondering if there is a tumor in the back of his mouth. Another possible cause of bleeding would be abscess or foreign material stuck behind the rear teeth.

I would recommend having your vet examine him tomorrow. If he does not allow the vet to examine his mouth, they can give him a gentle sedative so they can examine him more closely. If there is a rotten tooth or foreign material, they can remove it or if there is a mass, they can biopsy it.

Does this help? What other questions do you have?

Dr. Amanda

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you. I had seen people talk about internal bleeding.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I feel more comfortable with possibilities now.

You're welcome. Do you have any more questions?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No

Okay. Have a great weekend. I hope there isn't any more bleeding.

Dr. Amanda

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
This turned out to be anemia. He was bleeding from the gums and also had large amounts of blood in his urine. I had failed to mention that he took aspirin for pain and it appears as though he was having an allergic reaction or side effect (or both) to the aspirin. He is doing much better and we will be looking for an alternate method of relieving his pain.

Thanks so much for the update. That is an unusual case and I am glad to hear that your vet was able to make the diagnosis.

I hope all is well now and he is responding to treatments,

Best regards,

Dr. Amanda

Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian
Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian