Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My German pointer hurt his back leg yesterday and seems in

Customer Question
Hi my young German pointer...
Hi my young German pointer hurt his back leg yesterday and seems in some pain. He is putting some weight on it so don't think it is broken. I have metacam and rimadyl . Do you think I should give them to him?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: He is very sensitive and does hurt his pads quite often but he can't use it to geT on the bed so he was crying last night
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: He is called Fred and is 4
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Fred?
Customer: No he is pretty healthy
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/2/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

In regards ***** ***** question, provided that Fred hasn't any health issues, there is no bone sticking out, and isn't on any other medication then you can use one of these options (not both though since they will interact). In his case, I would lean to using the Metacam since the dosing is by kilogram and is most straightforward for you to give at home. He needs this just once daily and it needs to be given after or with food. Otherwise, we'd want to rest him (no stairs, furniture climbing, and just walks to the garden to do his business and back to resting) over the rest of this weekend. If he isn't showing positive progress by Monday, then a check up would be ideal to ensure no tendon damage is present.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate me afterwards by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian