Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My mini pin is acting strange.....H is walking around in

Customer Question
circles and he wont come...
My mini pin is acting strange.....H is walking around in circles and he wont come when I call him.He doesnt seem to hear me. He is only about 6 months old so he is into everything.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: a mini doberman
JA: OK. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: I have not
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about him.He?
Customer: Yes a male
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/2/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Nothing is wrong with his feet......

I'm sorry to hear of this with your min pin. Circling and a change in mentation (mental status) as evidenced by his unresponsiveness to you are pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of encephalopathy (brain disorder) affecting the forebrain - cerebrum and thalamus. Both intracranial (within the skull) encephalopathies such as congenital brain defects or infectious encephalitises as well as extracranial (outside the skull) encephalopathies such as a poorly functioning liver intoxicating his brain (hepatoencephalopathy) need to be considered.

How long has this behavior persisted, please?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Just a few hours and it was sudden onset

Had he just eaten - in particular, a high protein meal?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
He also has a good a appetite but I dont believe he had just eaten when it started

Thank you. A high protein meal can induce hepatoencephalopathy. Is his circling and mentation change persisting? Worsening? Abating?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I think there is a slight improvement but it could be about the same.......
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No we don't feed the hi protein dog food

These dogs will exhaust themselves and become hyperthermic if their wandering doesn't stop. Please consider hospitalizing him in a 24 hour facility should you have one available to you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I should take him to a Vet????

That would be prudent lest he exhaust himself and become overheated. I can't predict when - or if - this behavior will stop on its own accord.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What is the treatment for hepatoencephalopathy????
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Would a dog sedative be appropriate??? I have some OTC calming pills for dogs.

You've got to be careful which drugs are used for that purpose; for example, if the drug needs to pass through the liver to become active or needs to be excreted by the liver and the liver isn't functioning well, it's possible to under- or overdose these patients. The OTC pills are unregulated and so it's very difficult to predict how they'll affect any dog much less a dog in his condition.

Hepatoencephalopathy is treated with diet and altering the gastrointestinal flora. We'd also look for a "shunt" - abnormal vasculature associated with the liver - that might be corrected surgically.

Hi Ricky,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian