Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My dog has red spots all over abdomen that itch. Can I give

Customer Question

My dog has red spots all over abdomen that itch. Can I give him Benadryl? He weighs about 70 lbs.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your answer now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes

Hello again

Sorry to hear your dog is uncomfortable, however I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. This could well help. Benadryl is used frequently in the dog where allergic reactions are suspected and a typical dose rate would be 1 mg per pound of your dog's bodyweight given orally twice a day. { Thus 70 mg in your case } This drug is regarded as having a high margin of safety in the dog so if it does not do any good the chances are it will not do any harm.

2. Where I give clients information about drugs or dose rates I like to supply a link so that they can check the accuracy of the advice I have given and read contraindications etc. : LINK

3. Also I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your dog's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the use of Benadryl ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

Regards,

Dr Scott

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?