Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Yesterday he ate some raw rice. Dragged a quart container

Customer Question
upstairs. I would say he...
Yesterday he ate some raw rice. Dragged a quart container upstairs. I would say he at no more than 1.5 cups. Was just watching him poop and he had diarreah at first, then seemed solid then he kept squatting. He weighs 47 pounds. He at his breakfast this morning
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Rossi Age 3.5
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Rossi?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/1/2016
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 1 year ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

The rice itself should not harm him past causing a GI upset. The squatting you have been seeing is intestinal cramping due to the diarrhea and it will resolve with time.

You can help to calm the diarrhea faster by switching him to a bland diet of boiled chicken (lean turkey, lean ground beef, etc) and canned pumpkin. This should be fed exclusively until the diarrhea resolves and then a 5-10 days slow switch from the bland diet back over to his regular dog food.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in, JA Customer. How is your companion doing?

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian