Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Dog is ten year old miniature greyhound mix. Usual stool is

Customer Question
fully formed, almost dry, 2...
Dog is ten year old miniature greyhound mix. Usual stool is fully formed, almost dry, 2 1/2 to 3 inch cigar like pieces. For the last 4 days has been straining to have a bowel movement. Started out with watery stool deposits, but still straining to have bowel movement. Yesterday was passing an applesauce thickness stool. What can we do for him?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/1/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is***** am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about your dog. It sounds like he has colitis, inflammation of the lining of the colon, which can cause straining and unformed or loose stool.

Since he is not eating much, and is vomiting, I am worried that more of the digestive tract is involved than just his colon. He might have inflammatory bowel disease, an infection of the digestive tract, or a blockage. If he has eaten very little for week, I would recommend a good physical exam, to try to find his problem.

If you check his gums, are they pink or pale?

Is he drinking water and liquids? He needs to stay hydrated, so if he will drink offer broth, Pedialyte, as well as water.

I hope you were able to see my response. How is your dog doing? Can I answer any more questions?

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian