Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 6 year old Maltese/bichon mix dog had a cold beginning of

Customer Question
Hello, My 6 year old Maltese/bichon...
My 6 year old Maltese/bichon mix dog had a cold beginning of the month. started with coughing and congestion. Went to the vet and she was put on two prescriptions. Clavamox 125mg and guaifenesin 100mg. After she seemed better but still a little congested. Within the past two weeks she's had spouts of vometing multiple times within short periods of time. You can definitely tell she's still congested and can hear it when she breaths. She's been on and off with an appetite sometimes not even eating dry food all day. We feed her wet food at night and she never turns that down. Not sure if I should be concerned or if it's still just because of the cold she had almost a month ago. Please help!
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/30/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** will do my best to help you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is she vomiting secondary to the coughing?

2- Did your vet take x-rays?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm sorry I should have said this. She's no longer coughing since she finished the meds, just congested. And she seems a lot more tired and mellow lately. And no they did not take X-rays.

When she vomits, there is no coughing during the vomiting episode, correct?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Correct

1- What is in the vomit?

2- Is she still on guaifenesin?

3- How long since the last time she vomited?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Last time was like a week ago and it was 4 times within two hours, first one was all the food she ate that morning then the rest was green bile. This time it was about an hour ago and it was three times within 5 minutes and it was all bile as she has not eaten yet today due to no appetite. And no she's no longer on it, she finished it on the 13th.

Thank you for answering my questions. Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer.

Ashely, I am sorry Bella is vomiting. In response to your question, sometimes a dog can regurgitate food or saliva if they are forcefully hacking or coughing. In this case, however, it sounds like Bella is vomiting from a gastrointestinal problem, not a respiratory disorder. I don't think the vomiting is related to the cold she had a month ago. When we talk about vomiting this can be caused by many different medical conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands-on examination and some testing, I am sorry. But, common causes are a simple gastritis, dietary indiscretion, intestinal parasites, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, etc. to name a few causes. To determine the exact underlying cause she will need a hands-on examination by your family veterinarian, fecal analysis, and possible x-rays as an initial screening test. Finally, I would also recommend you discuss with your vet about doing a chest x-ray if she is congested, important to rule out things like bronchitis, etc. In the meantime, in any case of vomiting the first thing to do is give the stomach time to rest. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 6-8 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 6-8 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer a small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian