Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 7 year old St Bernard has been very agitated since

Customer Question
Hi Pearl, JA: I'll do all...
Hi Pearl,
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?
Customer: My 7 year old St Bernard has been very agitated since Tuesday. He has been following our older dog around relentlessly and has not had much of an appetite. He does not seem to be in any pain
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Tank
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Tank?
Customer: He's normally a very easy going lover.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/30/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

Any gagging, retching, lip licking, drooling, vomiting, or diarrhea?

Any change in his thirst? Can he keep water down?

Any breathing changes?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could he have eaten something he should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
He is not gagging, drooling, vomiting or licking his lips. He does not have diarrhea. He has no desire to eat or drink. There does not seem to be any tenderness in his stomach. His gums are pink and moist. He doesn't play with toys, and we don't have chemicals that they can get into.He does pant a lot and will not let our other dog out of his site, even whimpers when he can't see him. He was up and down all night. He follows the other dog around non-stop, panting the whole time. He is fixated on licking the other dog's behind, and can't seem to change his focus, even after the other dog gets irritated and growls at him.

Thank you,

Now I am glad to hear that he doesn't have most of those red flag signs I noted but if he is panting excessively and behaving in an insecure/submissive manner, then I'd be concerned that he may have discomfort (even if he is putting on a brave face) or possible anxiety.

With this in mind, if you wish to rule out anxiety (which can be related to changes at home, routines, or even things we cannot appreciate like odors of local dogs in season/heat), you can try a de-stressing treatment like Adaptil, Kalmaid, Composure, Zylkene, etc. These are OTC at most vets and pet stores. Further to this, since nausea sounds to be unlikely here, we'd want to tempt Tank to eat. To do so, offer favorites or a light diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, or scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (garlic/onion free only). You can even offer canned puppy food as this is high in water and nutrients, so we can get more into him per bite. Otherwise, if he seems sore at all or has any of those initial signs I asked about, then we'd need to consider a check up with his local vet to pinpoint the focus of discomfort and get him onto dog safe pain relief +/- an appetite stimulant to get him settled.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you for following up! I took both dogs in on Saturday. The other dog had an infected anal gland, and the one I was originally concerned about has lost 16 pounds since May, so we are awaiting blood work results. Thankfully, they are both back to themselves.

Thank you for the update,

Now I am glad to hear that you have had them seen, especially if Tank has lost that much weight without being dieted. Hopefully, nothing sinister will be found but getting to the root of this quickly will give us the best chance to halt further losses.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian