Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My Doberman (71 lbs.) swallowed a round plastic refrigerator

Customer Question

My Doberman (71 lbs.) swallowed a round plastic refrigerator magnet (1 and 1/2 inch diameter) on Monday around noon, and I don't know if it has passed through his system. I always walk him and have checked each stool. On Tuesday (the next day) he ran away and was gone for a while. Perhaps he expelled it then? He seems fine and is eating like he always does. How important might it be that I have xrays taken?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 9 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your answer now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes

Hello again Gail,

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. I wouldn't worry too much about this incident, the chances are that with a larger dog like Rommel this size of object will just uneventful pass along his alimentary tract without problem. The fact this is a magnet does not present any additional hazard.

2. As you say he may well have passed it on Tuesday, but sometime sit can take a few more days, to be honest I would not be too concerned about diagnostics such as X-ray at present. As long as he is happy acting normally then he is not at risk, however if you should note any symptoms consistent with alimentary tract obstruction or damage such as vomiting, lethargy, inappetance or signs of abdominal pain then have him checked over without delay.

3. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me in the unlikely event that Rommel's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hi Gail,

I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the fridge magnet ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.