Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Is it normal for a dog who just gave birth 10 days ago, to

Customer Question
be bleeding from the vaginal...
Is it normal for a dog who just gave birth 10 days ago, to be bleeding from the vaginal area/
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/29/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

Yes, bleeding from the placental sites as they involute ("curl up") is commonly seen and considered normal for up to 6 weeks. Should the bloody discharge turn to pus, however, a post-parturient metritis (infection of the uterus) would need to be addressed. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
she is a medium size dog and only had 1 puppy, this is her first time. The puppy was rather large, is it normal for this size dog to only have 1 puppy/

Yes, we see singletons regularly. An average litter consists of five to six puppies. Size of the breed is correlated with litter size. Miniature and small breeds average three to four puppies in each litter, with a maximum litter size of five to eight pups. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you for your information

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Hi Susan,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Sandy. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian