Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog ate chocolate yesterday and last night I thought she

Customer Question

My dog ate chocolate yesterday and last night I thought she died she was floppy and it took me a few min to bring her around she been good all day but she did the same tonight
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 9 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** will do my best to help you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How much does she weigh?

2- How much chocolate did she eat?

3- Type of chocolate (milk, dark, etc.)?

4- Any pre existing medical conditions?

I am sorry, I can not make a live call. But, I can answer your question on this thread. Or, I can opt out and allow another expert to help you. Please let me know. Thanks.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
9kg
A lot
Milk with pepperment
No

1- Can you describe what you mean by floppy?

2- Can you give me an idea of how much she ate for me to calculate a toxic dose?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Like she was in a coma
She ate about 6 rows of chocolate
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I was asleep and she was lying next to me I woke up with a bad feeling that something was wrong and I touched her she didn't respond I picked her up and she was floppy

1- Did she go back to being normal? And then became floppy again?

2- How is she now?

3- How many ounces were each row?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
She was great all day and tonight she did it again she ate a half of a chocolate block I worried about going to sleep just in case

1- Friend, describing the amount as half, a lot, rows, etc. does not give me an amount. In order for me to calculate a toxic dose I need to know ounces, grams, etc. You could find this information in the label on the box.

2- How many hours as it been since she ate the chocolate (we are in different time zones)?

3- How long was she out?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I got home from work about 10.30 yesterday morning and I left at 3.45am so she. Ate it between then so it's been 36 hours plus
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
About 100grams

100 grams was the total? Thanks.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
What can I do for her

Annette, after 36 hours of ingesting the chocolate there is not much you can do for her at home, I am sorry. The 2 episodes of becoming floppy could be caused by seizures, cardiac arrhythmias, etc. which treatment requires prescription medication not available over the counter, I am sorry. I would recommend having her checked tonight by ER veterinarian for a hands-on examination to auscultate her heart and make sure this is not related to abnormal heart beats. Treatment will be based on examination findings. I realize that this answer may not be entirely to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter