Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

They are like choking and looks like they want to throw up.

Customer Question
JA: I'm sorry to hear...
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: We dont know ? we got home from work and they were breathing heavily .
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: like what please ?
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: there names are ***** ***** khyro . they are brothers . almost 3 years .
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/29/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long have both dogs had these signs?

Can they keep food and water down?

Are their gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on their belly, any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Did they eat something they should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi. They have been like this since last night since we got home from work. Yes they can keep food and water down but after they eat they try to throw it back up again. I don't know about there gums and that and also we haven't tried pressing on there belly and that. No we have fed them with the food they are suppose to eat though we don't know what they could have eaten through out the day as they are left alone from the morning until around 4 pm in the afternoon.

Thank you,

Now it would be ideal to check those parameters I mentioned if you have not since problems there are often signs of urgent issues. Otherwise, based on the signs we are seeing, we do have a few concerns. Common causes we need to consider include bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, parasites/protozoa infections, general dietary indiscretions, and ingestion of harmful items (ie toxins, plants, non-edible items). As well, even though you didn't mention coughing, we can sometimes see upper airway infections irritate the throats of dogs and cause signs of this nature.

With this all in mind, we can try some home supportive care just now. To start, you can consider treating with an OTC pet safe antacid [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac), etc). Or if you think they have throat inflammation, do consider liquid versions of the above or Milk of Magnesia (0.5 tsp every 12 hours) to soothe nausea and coat their throats in case of inflammation/irritation there. Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if either has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Once they are more settled, you can plan to try small meals of a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, or scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (garlic/onion free only). The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning slowly back to what you normally feed.

Overall, a wide range of agents could trigger the signs we are seeing. Therefore, we’d want to start supportive care to try to settle their stomach and soothe their throats. Though if they cannot keep that or water down, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get their vet involved. They can assess hydration, rule out fever, ensure nothing in either dog’s stomach that shouldn't be, or any sinister viruses present. They can also double check that upper airway throat inflammation isnt’ an issue. Depending on their findings, the vet can treat with injectable anti-nausea medication, gut safe anti-inflammatories, +/- antibiotics to settle them both.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian