Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

He just today suddenly and gradually acting more and more

Customer Question
sick and now seems like...
He just today suddenly and gradually acting more and more sick and now seems like he has very little energy and as he breaths everyso often sound like he is trying to force air through his nostriles makes a swallowing like mucusy sound like he has excess mucus that iccassionally gets stuck in his throator nasil passage? Which all really started to become a more chronic problem after he was bitten in the throat at the park by a bigger dog which put a puncture hole in his throat around his larynx! That was around 5 -6 ago and he almost died from swelling & not eating or drinking water but got antibiotics and nursed him back to health and being a happy dog but now that he has healed he seems to get excess snot or mucus that gets stuck in his throat occassionally its sobad he freaks out or panics and starts in haling very loudand stiffing up ithought he was having a heart Ttack the first time but realized he has panicing trying to snort down mucus in his throat but so long he wasnt taking time to breath in between until I was able tocomfortand calm him into breathing and stopping the fit and kinda workingthe mucus back down his throat calmly and he has always had sorta a whooping cough and occassionally vomits yellow foam but he is a long hair shitzu mix and find or see hair in it so like acat think that he builds up to much hair at times and it gets stuck in the throat and he gags it up then he is better but right now is different he is acting lithargic and doesnt even want to go outsidewhen I try asking him or even show his normal hyper sense of energylike he is sick with a cold cuz the stuffy naisily breathing I gave him a half of a tramidol I had left over from the vet from his injury hoping that if there is painit will help and he would be able to sleep off whatever it is and hopefully be feeling betterand his usual spunky playful self in the morning but ofcourse I love him so much and worry if its something really really serious bcuz I dont have much money to afford to just take him to the vet ! The attack incident almost killed him bcuz I didnt have the money for after hour vet EMERGENCY please is any of the symptoms something I can do simply or over the counter meds I can get him like humans do for colds when we are not feeling well cuz he is acting like he has a cold I hope the tramidol helps ease it a bit? He also gets up and moves from spot to spot like he gets restless laying in onespot tolong
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. I'm trying to find the right Veterinarian for you right now. As soon as they are ready, I will let you know. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: Not that im aware of he just seems sick with the flew and like his esophagus is maybe swollen abit or his nasal passage has excess mucus that he keeps swallowing down or forcingout his nose but doingit weak with low energy like hes super tired or sad or obviously not feeling well enoughto play or show his usual enthusiasm to do much anything really but stare at me sadly?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/29/2016
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 1 year ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Can you please attach a video of the episodes you're seeing at home?

There is an attachment function on the page that should allow you to post pictures and video. You can also use websites like tinypic.com and youtube.com to upload pictures and video respectively. Once this is done, a set of links will appear. You can then post the link back and I can access them.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian