Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Just got home from being out for the evening....and found a

Customer Question
lot of pools of white...
just got home from being out for the evening....and found a lot of pools of white mucus vomit all over the carpets.....upon investigation I also found thistle around his mouth....in his fur.....I have pulled them all out...and found others around the condo.....could the vomit be from this or something else
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: not that I know of but the thistles were all over his muzzle which leads me to suspect he may have eaten one....maybe....we have had some health issues in the last week with constipation...and vomiting....but I did take him to the vet and he is on antibotics for that and has been better until this..
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Dolce:)
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: he does have a heart murmer..and is on medication for it....also has pancretitis...sorry about the spelling.....
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/29/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Given his signs and what you have found, its quite possible that the thistle played a role here. That said, I would be suspicious that Dolce may have eaten the thistle in the first place because he was still nauseous despite the antibiotics. Therefore, we do need to tread with care.

Now if he has settled, you can continue his treatment and monitor him. Though if he has any hint of nausea lurking, we'd want to either ring his vet for oral anti-nausea treatment or at least try an OTC antacid (ie ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac), etc.]. Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Once he is more settled, you can plan to try small meals of a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, or scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (garlic/onion free only) There are also OTC vet diets (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) that can be used too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. And if constipation has been an issue, you can add fiber (ie canned pumpkin, all bran) +/- a GI lubricant (ie cat hair ball treatment) to his food to help keep him regular. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning slowly back to what you normally feed.

Overall, its quite possible that the thistle has set off his vomiting here. Though we have to ask ourselves why he was grazing them in the first place. Therefore, we'd want to take steps to rule out or address any nausea lurking. Therefore, the above would be our next step. Though if he doesn't settle, then we may need his vet to look into the cause of his signs closer to make sure there is nothing still ongoing that needs to be addressed.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian