Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I just bought 2 st Bernard pups yesterday, boy and girl very

Customer Question
I just bought 2...
I just bought 2 st Bernard pups yesterday
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the St Bernard?
Customer: boy and girl very playful last night
JA: Where does the St Bernard seem to hurt?
Customer: but this morning woke up with diarrhea and vomit
JA: Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the St Bernard eat anything unusual?
Customer: the guy I sold them to me told me he was feeding them Purina puppu chow
JA: What is the St Bernard's name?
Customer: and that's what I bought them
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about and that 's?
Customer: they look sad im just worried and want to make sure they are going to be ok.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
vomiting and diarrhea 9 week old St Bernard's both female and male what can it be ? PLEASE HELP !!
9/28/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Please help!!

I understand your concern at this time. The stress of relocation is enough to cause the gastrointestinal stress you're seeing. In addition, a new water source and food manufactured in a different plant can contain different bacteria than the pups were exposed to prior to being brought into your home. This, then, can cause a change in bacterial flora resulting in GI distress. Finally, the stress of all of the above can mobilize GI parasites and so their worming history needs to be reviewed. Please let me know if you have that history.

In most cases these newly adopted pups will normalize unaided within 72 hours. It is not appropriate to throw antibiotics at them nor treat them with over the counter antidiarrheals. It is appropriate to have their stools checked with an an ova and parasite exam performed at their vet hospital but I have no objection to their being presumptively treated with over the counter fenbendazole (Panacur) available in many pet/feed stores which addresses all of the nematodes (roundworms, hookworms, whipworms) as well as the protozoan Giardia.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Panacur can be bought at any pet store and its safe to give?

Many pet stores - not all. It's not only well-tolerated but it's remarkably effective against most all of the parasites I see in pups. I would repeat Panacur dosing in 2 weeks. The exception is coccidia which requires a prescription drug. Ponazuril is the drug of choice; sulfadimethoxine can also be prescribed but needs to be given for far longer than ponazuril.

Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
If i do find the panacur how long will it take for them to recover? And if the problem continues can it be something life-threatening?

If GI parasites are responsible, worming can normalize them within 72 hours. If symptoms persisted, I have to consider both bacterial and viral infections. Most aren't life-threatening. Our primary concern is parvovirus which usually requires hospitalization and can cause loss of life. Hopefully the pups have been vaccinated properly so far - usually the first combination of vaccines is given at 6-7 weeks of age and the next at 9-10 weeks of age.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Which vaccines would be the ones they should have received already ? and what are they for?

canine distemper virus - hepatitis virus - parainfluenza virus - parvovirus - leptospirosis (elective)...also called DH(L)PP

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What if they don't have all these shots would It be able to take them in now at 9 weeks and get them all done at once including the 9-10 week shots?

You should have been given paperwork showing what medical attention these pups had received prior to your adopting them. If not, it's important that they be attended to by a vet at your earliest convenience. If there's any doubt that they were vaccinated, a vet will go ahead and vaccinate now. The vet wouldn't "double" the amount of vaccines because an earlier set of vaccines was missed. Protecting pets (or people) doesn't work in that manner.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Panacur C Canine Dewormer,Panacur Suspension 10%, there is different types which one should I get them?

The Panacur granules for dogs is most cost effective - pick the size(s) most appropriate for their weights - 10, 20, 40 lb packets are available. For example:

https://www.amazon.com/Panacur-Canine-Dewormer-4-gram/dp/B000296N7S

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I just got the vaccine record they have 5 in 1 first shots at 6 weeks, they need 9-10 week

Yes, please have that done soon. Any worming record?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is there a specific diet they should be on while they recuperate?
would you recommend any PNC (penicillin) ?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
pedia-lyte?

Keep them on the Puppy Chow. Changing diets at this time is bound to only worsen their GI distress. Avoid all antibiotics - including penicillin. Pedialyte can help replace fluids and electrolytes lost in vomitus and diarrhea. It's a good idea and can be offered free choice.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian