Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog had pancreatitis about 3 months ago. About 1 month

Customer Question

My dog had pancreatitis about 3 months ago. About 1 month ago, his vet mentioned that he doesn't process his fat properly. He has been on royal canin gi diet. He doesn't like this food and sneaks around to try to eat the other dogs food. Can you suggest some alternatives to this diet? Preferably something I can purchase at petco or the such.
Submitted: 1 year ago via Dog-Health-Guide.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Your vet is correct that high fat intake can trigger pancreatitis in sensitive dogs. In regards ***** ***** question, other diets we tend to use for these cases include Royal Canin Sensitivity Control and Hill's I/D. As well, as far as OTC diets go, Purina EN or Iams/Eukanuba Low-Residue would be an option to consider. Otherwise, since the key to feeding these cases is low fat, you can check the label for the RC GI diet's fat content and then use that as your guide to find a diet that you know he likes that has a similar low level and thus less likely to trigger any future flare-ups.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate me afterwards by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll try that. Now another question. I have a 4 month old German Sheppard female that has been eating 4 cups of RC German Sheppard puppy food since she was 6 weeks old. She's growing, but looks skinny. I've given her wormer twice (from the vet) in the last month and a half. I am concerned RC food is not giving her the nutrients she needs. What brand would you suggest I try for her?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

Now I have to note that website policy requires new unrelated questions to be opened as a new question. Since you are a subscriber that shouldn't cost anything more for you. Therefore, I will briefly note that you just need to choose a diet for her that has a higher fat and calorie content then the one you are currently using. Though if you did wish to discuss her further then I would ask that you do rate my question for the aid I have already provided and please open a new question for this other dog.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Baxter. How is everything going?

Dr. B.