Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Yesterday my Yorkie pup vomited something. I had set out

Customer Question
Yesterday my Yorkie pup vomited...
Yesterday my Yorkie pup vomited something white. I had set out Tomcat rat bait out of his reach, however, I found a small portion of an uneaten block in the side yard. Usually the rodents consume the entire block. I do not recall my pup being in the side yard however, I am now concerned. He is acting normally and showing no adverse signs of anything being wrong. Do I have an issue?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: I had numerous people over on Sunday and there was an assortment of all kinds of food. He may have eaten pork or some sausage as he likes mostly protein foods. We do not feed him table scraps however there were several children here as well. So he may have
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?
Customer: No, other than he is just the best!
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/28/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your answer now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes

Hello again Mark,

I have worked out an answer for you below.

I guess the chances are that your Yorkie did not get any of the Tomcat rat bait, but this is a very insidious type of toxin of which the symptoms may not start to appear for a few day. Given that you cannot be completely 100% sure whether your dog got any or not it would be better to play safe and take him to your local vet, there is an effective antidote available for many forms of rat bait.

Nothing much you can do at home I am afraid.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again Mark,

I am just checking back in to see how your Yorkie is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the rat bait issue ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian