Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My female dog who is about 4 years in age he's having a

Customer Question
Hi Pearl my female dog...
Hi Pearl my female dog who is about 4 years in age he's having a problem she does p but it seems like she has to go pee all the time just squatting after a few times no more pee comes out now she's having a hard time pooping can you let me know what I should do
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** is a Pomeranian
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Roxy?
Customer: I don't think so
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/27/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Lisa, Certified Vet Tech replied 1 year ago
Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech

Hello! My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

How long has Roxy been having this problem?

Is she spayed?

Has she had any new foods, treats or people food?

When was the last time she defecated normally?

Have you noticed any blood in the urine?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She is not Spade this has happened 3 days now she pooped a tiny bit today I did not see any blood in it and she just think she keeps having to pee she does go pee I have not noticed any blood in it
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She does eat a lot of human food so this would be nothing out of the ordinary

Great. Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

I'm sorry to hear that your dog isn't feeling well. Unfortunately, changes in urination habits can be caused by many things that range from the rather benign (like a urinary tract infection) to the more dangerous (such as bladder cancer). In addition, there are issues like bladder stones or kidney disease that can present with changes in urination.
Stones are caused by things such as minerals in the urine, bacteria, certain medications, an excess of Vitamin C in the diet or even their diet (which can affect the pH of the urine). There are some breeds that are more prone to stones than others (such Poodles, Yorkies Shih Tzus and Schnauzers) although any breed can get them (I have a Maltipoo who has had them twice!). Usually a course of antibiotics and a diet change to a prescription diet takes care of the problem.
Kidney disease can happen in any breed and unfortunately, at most any age. The contributing factors can include dehydration, cardiac issues, tumors, blood loss from traumas and both infections and ingestion of toxins. Even some medications can impair kidney function and lead to kidney disease. Generally this is treated with supportive care to keep the dog comfortable and to help improve kidney function.
Bladder cancer generally affects middle-aged or older dogs. Although not nearly as common as some of the other possibilities, I wanted to mention this as well since it is ofen over-looked as a cause of bloody urine especially if the dog is otherwise healthy and hasn't had any long-term issues.
Urinary tract infections (also known as UTIs) are the number one most common cause for urine accidents in dogs. The infection can be located anywhere in the urinary tract from the bladder to the kidneys and in unneutered male dogs, even in the prostate. Certain medications and underlying health problems such as diabetes or viral infections can also lead to UTIs.
The important thing is to have your pup seen by a vet as soon as possible for evaluation. Changes in how/where a dog is urinating is never 'normal' and can get worse if left untreated. Your vet will likely want to run a urinalysis, so if you can catch urine from your dog before going (you can catch it up to 24 hours before your appointment, just keep it in a clean, closed container in your fridge. Do not leave it out of the fridge as that will cause bacteria to grow in the urine and may give you false positives). Hopefully it'll end up being nothing too severe, but early intervention is the key.

I hope this helps.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

CVT_in_MN
Lisa
Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech