Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 40# Labradoodles just ate 4 - 20 mg lexipro that belonged

Customer Question
My 40# ***** just ate...
My 40# ***** just ate 4 - 20 mg lexipro that belonged to my son. He dropped the bottle on the floor and she chewed through the bottle. He is not positive about the number of capsules, but thinks there were 3 or 4
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Stella
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Stella?
Customer: No, she is spayed and healthy. When she was a puppy, she had a urinary Tracy infection and I give her 1/2 of a 500mg vitamin C dsily
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/27/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** will do my best to help you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has it been since she took the Lexapro?

2- Do you have hydrogen peroxide 3%?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
30 minutes. Yes I do have peroxide

Let's move quickly and try to induce vomiting; we can finish our discussion later. To induce vomiting this is what you can do:

1- Give her 1 tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide orally to induce vomiting.

2- Allow her to walk for a minute and move her belly to mix stomach content with peroxide. If she does not vomit within 5-10 minutes, repeat it again. Can give a total of 3 times 5-10 minutes apart.

3- Please let me know if she vomits, I will be here on stand bye for the next 20 minutes waiting for you.

Dr. Peter

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She vomited 5 times 3 were foamy and one had a piece of rx label
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Don't need phone call unless you think necessary

I am sorry, I can not make a live call. But, I can answer your question on this thread. Or, I can opt out and allow another expert to help you.

I am sorry for the confusion, the site automatically submits the call request, not me. I am sorry.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No answer our reply. Is she okay now

Did you see the pills in the vomit?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No they were capsules and i think they desolved There was white & pinkish foamy matter on the first 3 vomits
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Maybe some in the last. Lady two were small & mostly her dinner. She ate at 4:30p

Did she take the pills after dinner?

Friend, at this point if you are not certain if she vomited all of the pills I would have her checked by ER veterinarian and they can start her on large doses of activated charcoal and monitor for any symptoms, that would be the best option. Or, you can monitor at home for the next 24 hours; if you see symptoms like lethargy, sedation, changes in respiration, tremors, etc. have her checked immediately by nearest ER veterinarian. Not much more we can do from home at this point, I am sorry.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian