Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog is in heat n her vagina is very swollen n is hanging

Customer Question
out of her. Is...
My dog is in heat n her vagina is very swollen n is hanging out of her. Is this normal because this is her 2nd heat n it done it the first time. Whst can I do to make it more comfortable for her n stuff
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Her name is Luna
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Luna?
Customer: No she is up to date on shots n very well taken care of
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/27/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** will do my best to help you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is he licking her vagina?

2- Did this happen the first time that she was in heat?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yeah she is. N yeah it happenewd the first time she went in heat this is her second heat.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It looks likes Red balloon hanging from her

Thank you for answering my questions. Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer.

Friend, it sounds like your dog has what is called "Vaginal Hyperplasia or Prolapse." Basically, this is an exaggerated response by the vaginal tissue to a hormone called estrogen during estrus (heat). This is not normal, but, very likely it will continue to happen when she goes into heat. The immediate concern is that the tissue could become very large and interfere with her urinating. So, it is important that you make sure she is urinating without any problems. If she has difficulty urinating she will need to see a veterinarian to pass a vaginal catheter so she can urinate. It is also important that you stop her from licking the area or she will make it worst. Pick up an e-collar (cone) in your local pet store to stop her licking. In addition, keep the tissue moist by applying vaseline or ky jelly as needed. I would give it time, once she is out of estrus (heat) the tissue will regress. Finally, I would consider getting her spayed to avoid this in the future and prevent a pyometra (infection of the uterus) which is a surgical emergency.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian