Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

I accidently sprayed one spray of hydrocortisone into my

Customer Question

I accidently sprayed one spray of hydrocortisone into my dog's mouth.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your answer now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes

Hello again Aaron,

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. Please don't give this a second thought, the amount of hydrocortisone from just one spray will be very minimal indeed compared to the dose rates of hydrocortisone which are safely and routinely prescribed for dogs in tablet form. Your dog should be just fine, all you need do is flush out his mouth with lukewarm water just as a precaution.

2. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me in the very unlikely event that Brownie's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. My dog is only a 5 pound Chihuahua. What symptoms should I look for if he gets sick? When would they start? Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Well I very much doubt if Brownie is going to suffer any adverse effects, it would take quite a large amount of ingested hydrocortisone for this to occur.

Where side effects do occur you can expect to see such things as lethargy, inappetance, vomiting and drinking excessively and symptoms could start anywhere from two hours to two days depending on the amount ingested.

But really your dog should be just fine ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again Aaron,

I am just checking back in to see how Brownie is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the hydrocortisone spray ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Brownie is doing great. Thanks again for your advice

Hi Aaron, thanks for the update.

Brilliant, I though he would be OK ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hi Aaron Dickens,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Brownie. How is everything going?