Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Bleeding from the mouth, otherwise healthy, good appetite,

Customer Question
bleeding from the mouth JA: I'm...
bleeding from the mouth
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: otherwise healthy, good appetite, good energy. Bleeding has stopped with antiobiotics but recurs weeks to months after treatment.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/26/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Ann M., Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Dog Veterinarian

Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed, internship-trained veterinarian with 10 years experience in general medicine and emergency and critical care medicine and I would be happy to assist you. Please be patient as there may be slight delays in responses as I research your pet's issue.

How old is your dog?

Are there bad teeth in the mouth (meaning that your dog needs a dental cleaning)?

Is the blood just small amounts, or heavy bleeding?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
6 year old Boxer. His mouth was examined under sedation and they said his teeth & gums look fine. Bloodwork was ran and came back normal, and didn't indicate any clotting disorders. Sometimes it seems like a small amount and he is just licking his paws. Other times he soaks his entire dogbed. The vet found some inflammation in his nasal cavities, more on one side than the other, that started bleeding when touched. However, he doesn't bleed from his nose even when I hold his head in a downward position during a bleeding episode. The vet is suggesting a CT scan. I am wondering whether there is a cheaper route, or whether a chronic tooth root abscess could have been missed and is causing the inflammation in his nose. The vet has not done full x-rays of his mouth.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
During episodes I have examined his mouth to try to see where it originates, but it just seems that there's blood everywhere and his licking spreads it around.

Okay. Unfortunately, boxers are extremely prone to developing cancers. If the teeth look good on basic oral exam, there is no way that a tooth root abscess could cause these symptoms. CT scan is definitely the way to go, but rhinoscopy may be cheaper and may give you the answer. At least with rhinoscopy there is the option of taking a sample of the tissue while the dog is under anesthesia. It is possible this is behind the soft palate and could be a benign polyp, and rhinoscopy would shows that. Either way, he will need referral to explore this further... there isn't really a cheap way to solve this one, unfortunately.

I sure hope it ends up being something benign and fixable!

I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly. If you still have questions, please reply. If you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service, please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Bonuses are not necessary, but are appreciated, as they go directly to me rather than to the website. Best of luck.

I see that you viewed my response, but I have not heard back. Did you have questions about my response? Can I assist you further?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Dog Veterinarian