Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

We are an animal hospital and we have a 78 pound yellow lab

Customer Question
that ate 10 pieces of...
we are an animal hospital and we have a 78 pound yellow lab that ate 10 pieces of orbit gum 18 hours ago. chem/cbc came back normal. should we start on fluids?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: casper 3yr
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about casper?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/26/2016
Dog Veterinarian: petdrz, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian

Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am Dr Z. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply ASAP.

Thanks for trusting me to help you and Caspertoday. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 30 years of experience and would be happy work with you.

That is a significant amount dose of xylitol and if fluids are being recommended, it would be prudent to proceed that way for a while longer. Keep in mind that the hypoglycemia that can occur often doesn't show up until after 12 hours later. Seeing normal values at 18 hours post ingestion is a good sign, but Casper is not out of the woods just yet. The liver disease that can occur due to the xylitol can show up after the danger of hypoglycemia has passed and even if there was no hypoglycemia. For that reason, a sugar IV drip is prudent for a good 24 hours and liver enzyme and blood clotting tests are monitored for two to three days.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

petdrz
petdrz
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian