Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My smaller dog, Mini dachshund (14 lbs) ate the 5mg Vetmedin

Customer Question
that was for our other...
My smaller dog, Mini dachshund (14 lbs) ate the 5mg Vetmedin that was for our other dog (38lbs border collie/beagle mix) when he walked away from his food bowl and had not eaten it yet. Do I need to get our dachshund to medvet?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dachshund will be able to digest that. What is the dachshund's name and age?
Customer: Nigel 5.5yrs
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Nigel?
Customer: no he is a healthy dog. our other dog who is taking the vetmedin is 9yrs with CHF
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/26/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long ago did Nigel have this?

How is he just now?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
20 min, he seems fine.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
hello

Thank you,

I am just typing my reply now.

Dr. B.

Now this would be a 0.79 mg/kg dose for Nigel which is more than a double dose for his weight. Therefore, it could cause adverse signs like gut upset, changes to the heart rate and blood pressure crashes.

Therefore, in this case and since he has had this so recently, it'd be ideal to err on the side of caution. To do so, you can induce vomiting at home. This can be done by administering 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 1ml per pound. (2 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight). You can give it via dropper, syringe, turkey baster – we just want to get it in. After giving this orally, move the abdomen around or get your wee one walking about to get things mixing. This should usually lead to vomiting. If it is unsuccessful after 10 minutes then it can be repeated twice more. And if we still have no vomiting, then you'd need to consider seeing your local vet (or ER vet) so that apomorphine (a very strong injectable emetic) can be administered just get this out of the stomach and avoid any adverse issues.

As well or alternatively, you can also consider administering activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version, not the one for gas) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here.

Finally, after the above, we do want to try to address any potential GI upset here for the next 24-48 hours. To do so, you can consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled.

Overall, this is quite a high dose for a dog this small. Therefore, we'd be best to use the above to counter these risks for him. Otherwise, if you are struggling with the above at all, then seeing his vet for Apomorphine treatment just now would be ideal. In this situation, just in case you do wish to see an ER vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or https://www.veccs.org/facility-directory/

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian