Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

The other day she vomited and had soft stool and was

Customer Question
somewhat lethargic. She hasn't...
The other day she vomited and had soft stool and was somewhat lethargic. She hasn't lost her appetite, but her lower end is bothering her and has little trouble getting up and down a little flight of stairs.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: I'm taking her to my Veterinarian tomorrow when I get home from work.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/25/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** will do my best to help you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How old is she?

2- Any pre existing medical conditions?

3- So the main problem are her back legs, correct?

4- Breed?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
6 years old
She vomited and had soft stool the other day.
She's experiencing pain in her lower back and having trouble getting up and the stares without me helping her.
Her breed is Shih-Tzu!

1- How many days has it been since she was vomiting with loose stool?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Only a few days!

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Friend, when a dog is having trouble getting up from the floor or going up stairs it is often a sign of a neuromuscular problem. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands-on examination and some testing. But, common causes are arthritis of the hips, knee problems like a luxating patella, a pinched nerve along the back as a result of a slipped disc, etc. to name a few causes. I am not 100% certain if the vomiting and loose stool she had a few days ago is related to the weakness in her back legs. But, sometimes when a dog is systemically ill as a result of things like kidney or liver disorders, infections, tumors, etc. they can also become weak and appear to have a neuromuscular disorder. Unfortunately, on history only it will not be possible to determine the exact underlying cause, I am sorry. She is going to need a hands-on examination by your family veterinarian, blood work and possibly x-rays as an initial screening test to determine the exact underlying cause. Treatment will be based on exam and test results. Do Not give over the counter pain medication, most are toxic to dogs and will interfere with certain medications your vet may need to use. In addition, if she has something going on systemically over the counter pain tmedication can make things worst.

I realize that this answer may not be entirely to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand. For now, I would keep her on a bland diet of rice with boiled boneless chicken or ground beef until she is seen by your vet tomorrow.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian