Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Dog's ear is red and it looks like it has a bit of a skin problem only occurs on one ear, and has had previous issues

Customer Question
His ear is red and...
His ear is red and it looks like it has a bit of a skin problem only occurs on one ear, and has had previous issues with a similar problem with his paws but now they are ok and only his left ear.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/25/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am so sorry to hear your Satoshi is having issues with his ears!

I can give you some basic guidelines but if there is no change or they worsen then please consult your veterinarian to begin stronger treatment such as topical antibiotics/ steroids and possibly even oral ones as well...

- Benadryl 1 mg/ pound every 8 hours to help with the itch and discomfort of an infection/ inflammatory response. May sedate mildly
- 75/25 Water to white vinegar solution with cotton balls to wipe the ears out every 1-2 days (no q tips!) and remove any debris and infection
- Take a moist towel and put it in the freezer and apply to the ear or side of the face for relief of discomfort
- If you have any previously prescribed pain medication for him then that can also provide relief as well orally
- Please no over the counter ointments or salves which can put the tympanic membrane or inner ear at risk
- You can use an oatmeal-based dog shampoo on the pinna or flap itself but make sure that this doesn't get into the ear canal. Apply to the affected area twice daily x 10 minutes before wiping off then taper as this heals/ resolves.

I hope this makes sense and helps guide the treatment for your Shiba. If this is a moderate infection unfortunately it will require prescription topical medication to treat and hopefully allow this inflammation to resolve swiftly...

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today!

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian