Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

A week ago my 2.5 lbs chihuahua had loose stool and his

Customer Question

a week ago my 2.5 lbs chihuahua had loose stool and his tummy was making noises. I took him to the vet who gave him Metronidazole to take twice a day. Within the week while on meds his tummy seem to be fine. His last pill was this Friday morning and I noticed last evening (Saturday) that his stool is back to being mushy and loose. I have not changed his food diet, he has been on it for a while now. He has an appetite and is drinking water (so far). What could be causing this? Is there anything else I should consider (parasite, kidney, liver issues?)
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
His tummy was also making loud noises since this morning, rumbling noises that have kind of gone away by now, but worried why these loud noises are coming back again.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Did his stools return to normal with the treatment?

Did his vet do any tests before treating?

Any gagging, retching, lip licking, drooling or vomiting?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dr. B,
His stool did have a normal shape during the week treatment but was still moist
Vet just did a body examination, temperature check all was ok
no gagging, no retching, no lip licking and no drooling or vomiting
gums are pink
no pain when pressing his tummy. only tummy makes these noises from time to timeI attached for you as well pics of the food he consumes at breakfast and dinner perhaps to see if this might be food related:
AATU for meals (half a cup)
EaseFlex joints he takes a quarter of the size due to his weight
A treat I reward him with when he eats his food with a small piece of the Irish Rover super food
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

I have received your reply and am downloading your attachments. I will post shortly with my thoughts (please disregards ***** ***** offer).

Speak to you shortly,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

Now if his diet and treats are not new to him, then those are both fine to continue. In regards ***** ***** signs, I would first note that the stomach noises are just due to gas and increased gut motility (which is what leads to loose stools). So, all of Jacques's signs are interlinked. Though to see a relapse suggests that either the potential bacterial cause wasn't fully sensitive to the antibiotic used, that we have a parasite/protozoal issue (which Metronidazole does help with some of these), or that we have an inflammatory GI upset that is still ongoing (Metronidazole also has gut immune modulating effects).

With this all in mind, we have a few options. You could first ring his vet to discuss using a longer course as it may be that the causative agent has been reduced but not removed by the current course he has finished. Otherwise, we'd need to consider having a stool sample tested. This can check for all of the above concerns and make sure that any pathogenic bacteria present are fully sensitive to the antibiotic (or we can change to what it is vulnerable to if we found that wasn't the case).

Otherwise, for the moment, we could consider initiating some supportive care. To start, if he is very runny, we can add fiber (ie canned or boiled pumpkin, Weetabix, etc) to his food. This will bulk up stools and help keep them formed. As well, with the gas component, I'd be suspicious that his good gut bacterial load has been affected by this. Therefore, an OTC probiotic (ie Fortiflora, Protexin Enterogenic) can also be added to his meals. Otherwise, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (which is available OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will provide support to the delicate good GI bacteria but also have kaolin to reduce diarrhea and bulk up stools.

Overall, this does raise a few concerns. Organ issues as you have noted would not be on the top of our list here, but parasites,bacteria, and potentially viruses could be. Still, we'd want to take the above approach supportively but with a view to speaking to his vet about possibly continuing the course or testing a stool sample to get to the root of this and nip it in the bud for Jacques.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate me afterwards by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )