Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a 16 pound poodle mix that is constantly biting above

Customer Question
his bottom. He's white but...
I have a 16 pound poodle mix that is constantly biting above his bottom. He's white but that entire spot is brown from constant biting & licking. My vet gave me zyrtec for 2 months but that doesn't work. My horse gets dexamethasone every other day for COPD so I'm looking to see how often a dog can get it.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the poodle's name?
Customer: Lucky
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lucky?
Customer: He's 5 yrs old & has glaucoma in both eyes. Other than the constant allergies & blindness he's healthy.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/25/2016
Dog Veterinarian: jadedangel57, owner replied 1 year ago
jadedangel57

Hi, I'm Jane. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will be back in touch with you as soon as possible.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi, thank you! Are you a veterinarian?

I can give you a site that gives you the usage, precautions and dosages for dexamethasone in dogs. However, no one can recommend you give a prescription drug to your dog without your own vet's approval. That site is here:

http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/prescription/dexamethasone

It can lead to elevated liver values which you don't want to mess with. Prednisone is often prescribed for dogs with allergy issues. If it is the area in front of the tail, that area is often associated with a flea allergy and killing fleas in the environment and on the dog often help stop the constant biting and licking the area. I can give you tips to get rid of fleas if that is the case. If fleas are involved, it only takes one bite for an allergic reaction to start. I can also give you tips on clearing the area as well.

I am not a veterinarian though I have worked as a vet assistant for many years and been involved with dog health care, breeding and behavioral training for over 20 years. Let me know if it is the area in front of the tail and I'll give you more information on how to take care of that.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it is that area. We don't have fleas. I keep our yard sprayed. Even on flea meds he does this. No, he's not an flea meds anymore but for years he was & he did the same licking, etc. Every time I check him no fleas, just raw skin from him biting. Occasionally there is 1-2 fleas but not that often. We give biweekly baths sometimes weekly. What's good for this problem? Prednisolone? I have asked our vet, not liking the response since it's not working, hence the reason I paid for this site.

Your dog just has to have one flea bite him and it sets off the allergic reaction. The area you describe is the most common place for a moist dermatitis (hot spot) for form due to flea allergy. It can be corrected though and I've been through it myself with one of my rotties who had a flea allergy. Flea sprays in the yard are in effective as rain and even dew can make it ineffective. There is a product called Diatomaceous earth that is tiny pieces of crushed fossils. This helps kill fleas and other small insects by cutting the exoskeleton until they die. It can be spread on dry yards to kill insects like fleas in the yard. You should wear a mask when applying. It can also be used in carpets to reach into the padding and crevices without using poisons. You put it down and walk on it a day or two so it gets into the carpet and padding, then vacuum up what is still visible. Some owners will even use it on their dog itself. Besides not letting them breath it in, it is harmless. It can be purchased at garden shops. I've personally used this for over 10 years or more. It works very well.

You might also consider a nobite collar to stop your dog from being able to reach the area. It prevents your dog from reaching the area. It is less invasive than the cones. Here is a site that does have them.

http://www.entirelypets.com/ecollars.html?gclid=CPa-8ZSEw4wCFSWQGgodyUs0dA

You might also be able to make a bite free collar as well with some heavy plastic and velcro.

Now a method that I've seen some breeders use is to add a portion of a teaspoon of flea dip into a jar of Vaseline and mix well. They then use this on the area after cleaning it well with a mild betadine solution or hydrogen peroxide. It helps protect the skin and keep any possible flea from biting in that area. Some swear by this method and the ones I know see improvement within a week.

Prednisone is an antiinflammatory medication and helps with the itchiness. Most vets will prescribe this as necessary. You might also ask about atopica. Read more on that here:

http://us.atopica.com/en/

http://www.petmd.com/pet-medication/cyclosporine-atopica

If other methods haven't been working, atopica might.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Will the diatom... help with flies on him while he's out pottying? He's an inside dog but we have horses that get sprayed daily with permithium as well as our yard once a week. Flies are hideous & when Lucky potties they bother him. Will monthly k9 advantix work again. I mean he still scratched so I took them off. We tried frontline, revolution too & store brands & advantix worked better but still not completely. Is there a way to get his brown color off? Turn him white again.What brand of flea dip? A whole jar of Vaseline?I can't put a cone on him, he's almost fully blind. He'll run into everything. But, we did a few times years ago.Lastly, if all this doesn't work what else could it be?

DE (Diatomaceous earth) won't do much to flies as they are larger. Flies usually bother a dog's ears. Like you, we usually use fly off which is likely similar to your product. Avon skin so soft seems to work well to. Flea dip usually contains permitherin, so you might use just vasoline on the area and the fly spray which should help as well. Most do use a whole jar.

I would not use a cone but the nobite collar isn't a cone. It just keeps him from being able to bend his neck around to reach the area. See one here:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=24158&cmpid=01cseYY&gclid=CjwKEAjw652_BRDfkebVrdOGkDISJAD0Q2RuZ83KWENfBvOagNqPwEjUG7H3bCdrgdlrMPFhig3T0hoC6vjw_wcB

Angel eyes is a product that many use to remove the red stain on fur from licking. Any tear stain remover should work for removing any stain. Other causes for biting, etc would be mites which a skin scraping eliminates. Ringworm is another possibility but usually there is bare area of skin with a rash around the outer edge and it is easily diagnosed by your vet. Since he has been to your vet, I am assuming your vet performed those tests to ensure it was allergies. Allergies and/or fleas are the most likely cause.

Just a quick note to find out how things are going with Lucky? Did you find my answer helpful?

jadedangel57
jadedangel57
jadedangel57, owner