Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My dog lost 2 claws and paw pad in accident. Will they grow

Customer Question

My dog lost 2 claws and paw pad in accident. Will they grow back? Should pad reconstructive surgery be considered? Can she walk and run normally?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 year ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

What happened?

Can you share pictures that clearly show the nail loss and pad damage?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is now bandaged

Without pictures, I can give you a generalized answer.

Most nails do regrow and the same to be said about paw pads if it's just the outer layer that was stripped off. Once this happens, yes, she should be able to both run and walk normally without any problems. If she were to suffer the complete loss of two nails, she should still be able to ambulate normally. If she were to have lost tissue associated with the paw pad, this could potentially change the way she places her foot but should not stop her from actually walking and running normally--although she may need to relearn the process with her new handicap.

If you do remove the bandage and are able to take pictures and would like me to take a look, just send them along. Even after rating, I'll be happy to help further.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in, JACustomer. How is your girl going today?