Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I had a quick question about our kittens (4 months). we just

Customer Question
got them and they have...
i had a quick question about our kittens (4 months). we just got them and they have been in my daughters room with the exception of one hour when they were in our playroom. one of the kittens stepped on something sticky. I was trying to find the source (lifting couches, etc) and found two random decon pellots under there from a year ago when we had a rodent. I thought we had removed everything! now i am freaking out. she shows no symptoms but what if she ate a random pellot? How much does it take to get poisoned?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did you see what the kitten ate?
Customer: i dont know if she ate anything. i just found two stray random pellots of decon. she shows no symptoms (it was 2 days ago) but I am still nervous bc we just got them!
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the kitten?
Customer: nope
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/24/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Do you think she could have ingested one?

How long ago do you think this happened?

Are her gums pink or pale/white?

While I see you noted no signs, can you confirm there have been no changes to her appetite, breathing, activity level and no black stools?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Everything seems normal. It was about 52 hours ago. Are these the signs I should look for? Would a single pellet of Decon hurt her? I know we removed the trap about a year ago so I can't imagine there would be more than a stray pellet. To be honest, I as shocked I found any! In a cat how long does it take to show symptoms?

Thank you,

Now with toxins like this we do need to tread with care. A single pellet even ageed could potentially cause harm for a kitten. If this had been a pellet containing Bromethalin, then we'd have expected to see neurological signs already. Though most of these pellets contain anti-coagulant based poisons. This can be slower acting taking days to weeks to cause signs. This is because they work by preventing the body from making clotting factors to stop all those tiny bleeds that happen in our bodies without us even knowing. But this is delayed since the body will already have some circulating that won't be affected by the poison. And if your wee one did have access to this, then in the next few days to weeks we could see lethargy, weakness, paling of the gums, difficulty breathing, bleeds from the nose, mouth, in the urine, anus, and collapse. So, those would be the signs we'd need to watch for. Though if you are highly suspicious she did eat one, you can head off problems by having her local vet check her clotting factors or start her on Vitamin K to counteract the poisons effects.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate me afterwards by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian