Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My cocker Spaniel started throwing up yesterday morning just

Customer Question
white mucousy stuff. We thought...
My cocker Spaniel started throwing up yesterday morning just white mucousy stuff. We thought it was because she chewed on a papertowel I had dropped. This happened a couple of times but she was still active. But didn't have a bowel movement. Last night at 10:30 she had a bowel movement and now has diarehea.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: Other than the paper towel I do not know of anything but she is just 2 and will find stuff to get into
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Piper
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Piper?
Customer: Ah She was at the groomer about a week or so ago. The stool is a reddish brown but doesn't look like blood spots in it. She didn't eat all day yesterday until dinner time. She ate then and brought that up about 2-3 hours later
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/24/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian

My name is***** and I am sorry to hear that Piper is having such an upset stomach. Vomiting and diarrhea are very common in dogs and often require some treatments to get them under control. Also, we often never know the cause of the vomiting and diarrhea, but it is often something the dog ate. It could also be parasites, a virus, pancreatitis, or inflammatory bowel disease.

I would recommend taking Piper to your vet this morning. They can give her a shot to settle her stomach down and medication for the diarrhea. Most dogs recover very quickly with simple treatments (assuming their illness is caused by eating something that irritated their intestines).

Does this help? What questions do you have?

Dr. Amanda

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
can I give her some Pepto Bismol? She is only 2 and up to date on all her shots so hoping it was just something she ate. Is kennel cough a possibility and is there anything I can give her for that

Peptobismol doesn't seem to help much in dogs.

You can try giving a probiotic like Fortiflora and some Pepcid, about 0.5mg per pound of body weight.

You can also try feeding a very bland diet, like boiled chicken and rice. Give very small amounts once every 3 to 4 hours. Also, make sure she doesn't over drink her water, gorging on water can also make dogs nauseous.

How is Piper doing today? Any more vomiting or diarrhea today? Do you have any more questions for me?

Dr. Amanda

Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian