How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. B. Your Own Question
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 20836
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a 10 month old, 26 lbs terrier/dachshund mix that we

Customer Question

I have a 10 month old, 26 lbs bull terrier/dachshund mix that we recently took to the vet for a suspected UTI (this was on monday). She was having difficulty urinating and, while she is totally house trained, had several small accidents through the night (no blood was in the urine). The vet gave her a shot of antibiotics as well as a 14 day clavimox rx. During the visit they attempted to get a UA via cystocentesis but after a failed attempt they performed an xray and she had no urine in her bladder. I was sent home with a kit to gather a sample from her and return to the office. SO , I got the sample, took it to the office and they sent it off to the lab for assessment.
I received a call today (friday) from the vet telling me there was a high number of crystals in the urine sample and now I need an xray to confirm stones. (Even though they did an xray on monday confirming her empty bladder?) I read that if a sample isn't assessed promptly (within 30 minutes) crystallization can occur leading to falsely high readings. Is this true?
Second part of my question, I just noticed a lump on her right lower abdomen. She doesn't seem to be in any pain at all and the antibiotics worked wonders for whatever was hindering her urination. She's very active and playful but I'm concerned because the lump is so visible and about as round as a dime. Could this be related to the attempted cystocentesis? If not, what could this be caused from?
Not sure if it matters but we switched her food to Natural Balance L.I.D. Sweet Potato & Fish Formula Dry food maybe 2 weeks ago.
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

In regards ***** ***** question, is a urine sample is left at room temperature it can start to develop crystals (though if the put the sample in the fridge or the submission tube had boric acid then this would be slowed). In any case, what is important to note is that there are different kinds of crystals. If they have seen a high number of calcium oxalate crystals, then this should be rechecked with a fresh sample. If it was struvite or urate crystals then the finding isn't likely a false one. In any case, if it were those latter crystals or they rechecked a fews sample to find the calcium oxalate ones, then you may to have a chat about having an ultrasound since this can be better for seeing stones as well as crystals in the bladder (and easier to see even if the bladder isn't full since empty bladders on xray can hide the presence of crystal sludge). And I'd note that if she has crystal issues then diets could very much affect this.

Otherwise, the lump you have reported isn't likely to be due to the cysto. It is possible to get a needle sized sore from this but lumps aren't typically seen. In regards ***** ***** this may be, it could be a sebaceous cyst, abscess (though we'd hope the antibiotics would tackle that), a growth, or a little bleed/hematoma. So, we'd want to keep an eye on this. If it gets any larger, then you can have her vet sample it to determine which is present and whether treatment is needed.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.


If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate me afterwards by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.