Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  full time veterinarian at Tender Touch Veterinary Hospital
95569734

My dog is shaking and I'm not sure why, Cody, 5 years, No,

Customer Question

My dog is shaking and I'm not sure why
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Cody, 5 years
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Cody?
Customer: No, just that he has been shaking for a few minutes pretty severly
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 1 year ago.

Hi this is Dr. Hill. Please give me a moment to type my full response. Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, thanks
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 1 year ago.

First, we need to try and distinguish between trembling (minor shaking) and tremors or muscle fasiculations (generalized muscle spasms). Trembling is usually a sign of discomfort (joint, abdomen, muscles) and is usually minor. Muscle fasiculations are associated with toxicity (tremorogenic mycotoxins from mold ingestion), severe pain (spinal cord constriction) or electrolyte abnormalities. Could Cody have gotten into compost or trash? Has he had any other signs of illness, such as vomitng, loss of appetite or diarrhea?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No other symptoms that I know of. I don't think he could have gotten into trash, but he did eat a small piece of plastic earlier, could that be it?
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 1 year ago.

If he ate plastic and it is causing abdominal pain, then yes. What type of plastic? How big is Cody?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was part of a plastic spoon (maybe 1/10 of the actual spoon part) that he bit off. He's about 20 pounds.
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 1 year ago.

So, that type of thick plastic becomes very hard when in contact with stomach acid. You need to monitor his eating, drinking and bowel movements over the next 5 days. If he does not eat for over 24 hours, starts vomiting or has bloody diarrhea, then he needs to be evaluated by a local veterinarian.

Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Kelly Hill