Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Drank toilet bowl cleaner out of toilet, Nothing so far. She

Customer Question

Drank toilet bowl cleaner out of toilet
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?
Customer: Nothing so far.
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: She doesn't so far. It was a few hours ago and she seems fine but didn't know if should do something else?
JA: OK. No obvious pain. Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?
Customer: No.
JA: OK. Nothing visually obvious. Is the dog eating normally?
Customer: That I haven't seen yet.
JA: Is the dog having trouble peeing or pooing?
Customer: She hasn't Done it yet so I am not sure. Is that what we should watch for?
JA: How is the dog behaving differently?
Customer: Not really. Maybe a little calmer.
JA: OK. No obvious behavior changes. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Annabel 16 weeks
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Annabel?
Customer: No. I could take her to the next town over if I need to but she is running around now.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 9 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your answer now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes

Hello again

I know you are very concerned about Annabel, the chances are she will be just fine though, however I have worked out a fuller answer for you below.

1. Actually I have dealt with just this sort of question many times in the past with the clients at my clinic. For dogs to drink toilet water like this is actually quite a common occurrence. It is usually no cause for concern because the concentration of chemicals from the toilet bowl cleaner is usually very low. If it was higher then it would taste bad and the dog will not drink it, in fact I cannot say I can remember this sort of thing ever turning into any sort of serious incident.

2. That said where symptoms do occur my experience is that these dogs usually just vomit a few times in the first couple of hours and then gradually return to normal. If this happens then the chances are you have nothing to worry about but if you become further concerned then of course you should see an ER vet without delay just to be on the safe side.

3. As Annabel is more or less acting normally at present then the chances are that everything will be fine and all you need do for present is just to keep an eye on her. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if her condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Annabel is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the toilet bowl cleaner incident ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** received your response. When I went to pay through paypal, I was redirected to other options they wanted me to purchase with no way to return to our conversation. I basically go angry and shut my phone off. The dog ended up being o.k. It was very frustrating to say the least though.

Sorry you had this frustration but I am so pleased Annabel came through this OK ...

Regards,

Dr Scott