Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My dog got into my stick of deodorant. Didn't eat the whole

Customer Question

My dog got into my stick of deodorant. Didn't eat the whole thing just took a bite. Should I be concerned?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry to hear that your pup took a bite of deodorant, and I understand that you are concerned.

How concerned you need to be depends upon how big of a dog he is, and whether the deodorant contained zinc. Zinc is toxic for dogs if enough of it is ingested. But it is also highly irritating to the gastrointestinal tract, so many dogs will vomit anything containing significant amounts of zinc before it can cause toxicity.

If your pup is a large breed dog and there wasn't any zinc in the deodorant then you may see mild nausea simply due to the fragrance and alcohol contents, but there shouldn't be any long term effects.

It may help to flush his mouth with cool water and then wipe down his teeth to remove any traces.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I wanted to check in and see if you had any further questions after reading my response. If you do please feel free to respond with them. If not I would appreciate an update on your pup, thank you, ***** *****