Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Dog has been limping in front right leg on and off for a few days. Now it seems like something is wrong with back leg

Customer Question
He has been limping in...
He has been limping in front right leg on and off for a few days. Now it seems like something is wrong with back leg too,same side. Mostly happens when he first wakes up
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: Ya i couldn't find anything
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Alfie, almost 5 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Alfie?
Customer: I don't think so
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/23/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian

Hello and thank you for asking your question. My name is***** will try to help.

Once he walks around does the lameness resolve?

Has he had any tick exposure recently?

Has he had more exercise than usual?

Any accidents recently?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It seems to resolve but then it comes back when he's been at rest. None of those you mentioned have happened that i am aware of.

Ok it sounds like some tendonitis or arthritis. How long has it been going on ? Is he on any medications now? How much does he weigh?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
About a week. No meds. About 10 lbs

Ok it still sounds like it could be some arthritis or tendonitis.

So to officially diagnose arthritis an x-ray would have to be taken. That would show the vet how the joint cartilage looks and if there is any arthritis. He is not that old so it could be tendonitis too.

Tendonitis is inflammation of the tendons in the joints.

Both arthritis and tendonitis can be worst when they first wake up and can improve with movement.

I also asked about tick exposure because Lyme disease can cause lameness and it can shift around to different legs.

So you could try over the counter aspirin for pain and inflammation. You can use it for 3-4 days and if there is not improvement, or he gets worse, then he needs to see a vet. Also aspirin is not a good choice for long term pain control because it has more side effects than some of the prescription veterinary pain medications.

So if he is 10 pounds he can take half of a 81mg aspirin tablet every 12 hours.

Give it with food to help prevent gastrointestinal upset.

In case it is tendonitis you should restrict his activity until he is no longer limping.

So if he is not better in 3-4 days then he should see a vet.

Does that help? Do you have any additional questions?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian